Thursday, October 11, 2012

8-bit music and why I'll never make it again



 Alright, so I was just working on a new tune. I put in quite a bit of work into this new one, but it'll never see the light of day. Why, you might ask? Because I hate it. I hate making the same old 8-bit noises. I mean, don't get me wrong, 8-bit music is probably one of my favourite types of music. Anything that has 8-bit synths in it, I fucking love. It could be a hip-hop/glitch-hop tune like Jonwayne's "Bowser I" or a nintendocore tune like Worlds Within's "Jolteon"; regardless of what kind of tune it is, if it has an 8-bit synth in it, I'll eat it up. But for some odd reason, I can't stand making it.

 It may be because I don't want my music to be something to joke about. A few hours ago when I showed off a little bit of the new tune to my grandmother, my father overheard and said "that sounds like something out of Castlevania." I could tell he didn't mean this in a good way. As soon as I heard this, a little bit of my heart sank. Now, by no means am I trying to impress my dad with my music, but I'd at least like him to enjoy it. This isn't the first time this has happened either. This has happened a couple times in school, when I'd be listening to a tune off of SoundCloud or something, and someone will tell me it's annoying. Which, isn't entirely bad, because any criticism is good criticism, but on every one of these occasions, it's been one of my songs that includes an 8-bit synth; more specifically, the part of the song including the 8-bit synth. So the general consensus seems to be that I don't do 8-bit well. Despite many great philosophers' advice, I'm letting it get to me and I'm letting it bring me down. It's devolved my love for making 8-bit music. Any time I sit down with the Maschine and try to put together a little 8-bit section for a song I'm working on, I end up scrapping the whole song completely because these 8-bit synths ruin my drive to finish the song. It's quite sad really.

 I'm really just posting this to get it off my chest. And to say I'm done working with 8-bit synths.


Here's a picture of Bunn-Bunn:




kloveyoubai.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment